Welcome to FIYA!
Thanks for taking interest in our organization and its athletic events, and we hope you can join our community or get invovled in one of our programs. Below is the breakdown of the basic FAQ About FIYA's Athletic Events including:
- What FIYA is
- What grade levels can participate in FIYA athletic events
- What athletic events FIYA offers
- What league events and what tournament events FIYA offers
- How FIYA league events are organized
- How schools register for FIYA leagues or tournaments
- How much FIYA athletic events cost and payment due dates
- How much FIYA school memberships cost
- Refunds and discounts for membership and registration fees
- Home games / host venues
- Playoffs and awards
- Equipment, uniforms, coaches provided by FIYA
Continue reading for FAQ About FIYA Athletic Events. You can also download a copy of the FAQ SHEET from the links to the right. As a general rule of thumb, we encourage all incoming and returning FIYA participants to re-read this "FAQ About Athletic Events" document and our Regulations Manual EACH YEAR as we update both documents annually prior to each upcoming school year.
FAQ ABOUT FIYA ATHLETIC EVENTS
Updated as of May 1, 2020
1. WHAT IS FIYA?
FIYA (pronounced FEYE-Yuh) is the acronym for FOUNDATION FOR INTERSCHOLASTIC YOUTH ATHLETICS. Established in August 2011, FIYA is a nonprofit entity providing athletic events for middle and elementary schools in Los Angeles and the surrounding areas.
2. WHAT GRADE LEVELS CAN PARTICIPATE IN FIYA ATHLETIC EVENTS?
FIYA offers three (3) divisions by grade level for competition:
- Division 1 is for students in grades 8 and below.
- Division 3 is for students in grades 4 and below.
- Division 2 is for students in grades 6 and below.
Typically, each division has a girl’s component and a boy’s component.
No high school student, regardless of his/her age, can play in a FIYA athletic event. Middle school and elementary school students must meet the age eligibility requirements as set forth in ARTICLE III, SECTION 2 of the FIYA Regulation Manual.
3. WHAT ATHLETIC EVENTS DOES FIYA OFFER?
FIYA offers athletic events in two forms: (1) LEAGUE EVENTS and (2) TOURNAMENT EVENTS
- (1) LEAGUE EVENTS occur over an 8 to 10-week period involving a regular season league schedule and playoffs (for qualifying Division 1 teams only). See Question 4 for the listing of FIYA league events.
- (2) TOURNAMENT EVENTS can be designated as tournaments, meets or competitions and are generally one day or multiple day events that typically offer an individual competition as well as a team competition. See Question 4 for the listing of FIYA tournament events.
4. WHAT LEAGUE EVENTS DOES FIYA OFFER? WHAT TOURNAMENT EVENTS DOES FIYA OFFER?
FIYA LEAGUE Events:
- Fall: Girls Volleyball, Boys Flag Football (7 v 7), Girls Flag Football (5 v 5), Floorball (5 v 5)
- Winter: Girls Basketball and Boys Basketball
- Spring: Girls Soccer (11 v 11), Boys Soccer (11 v 11), Girls Futsal (5 v 5 Indoor), Boys Futsal (5 v 5 Indoor), Boys Volleyball
FIYA TOURNAMENT Events:
- Fall: 6 Cross Country Meets, 1 Ping Pong
- Winter: 3 Dance Competitions, 1 Ping Pong
- Spring: 6 Track & Field Meets
5. HOW ARE FIYA LEAGUE EVENTS ORGANIZED? WHERE AND WHEN ARE THE GAMES?
- First, FIYA organizes its league events geographically. That is, we group school teams together based on their physical location in order to minimize travel.
- Second, FIYA league events are centralized which means our games occur at a location in the region which hosts multiple games per day. All of our league events and the majority of tournament events occur on weekdays between the hours of 4PM and 7PM start times.
6. HOW DOES MY SCHOOL REGISTER FOR FIYA LEAGUES OR TOURNAMENTS?
- First, contact FIYA at INFO@ONFIYA.ORG to ensure that someone from your school is on the FIYA email distribution list. In addition to our website, FIYA sends periodic emails to the distribution list about upcoming events.
- Second, go the REGISTRATION tab of our website and view the information for the league and/or tournament event for which your school is interested in participating. Complete the online registration as it pertains to that sport. Please note for some sports - - cross country and track & field - - the registration is done via a separate platform as described in the information section of such sports.
7. HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO REGISTER FOR FIYA ATHLETIC EVENTS AND WHEN IS THE PAYMENT DUE?
- League Events – unless otherwise stated in a sport’s registration information, the cost per team is $540 for nonmember schools and $495 for member schools. (See Question 8 for how to become a member school.) This covers the entire expense for referees, game operators, facility and administrative fees for a 7 to 9 game regular season plus playoffs for qualifiers.
- Tournament Events – unless otherwise stated in a sport’s registration information, the cost is often based per individual; $13 for nonmember schools and $10 for member schools. Each tournament event will state specifically the costs involved.
- Payment for League Events or Tournaments can be by credit card, check or in some rare cases cash. Payment is not needed prior to the start; we typically invoice a school during the league event season or after the tournament event.
8. HOW DOES MY SCHOOL BECOME A MEMBER OF FIYA AND IS THERE A COST TO MEMBERSHIP?
FIYA School Membership is voluntary. In order to become a member, a school completes a membership form on our online registration page. The cost of membership is $125 for the school for the entire school year and entitles the school to membership pricing for all FIYA Athletic Events during that particular school year. Currently, the sole benefit for being a member is cost savings; your school should become a member if your school plans to participate in such a way that it becomes a financial savings.
9. ARE THERE REFUNDS OR DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE WITH RESPECT TO THE MEMBERSHIP OR REGISTRATION FEE?
- There is no refund for the annual membership fee. The membership must be renewed every school year.
- With respect to the registration fee for a league event, if a school team drops from a league event on or before the mandatory coaches meeting for that league, the school will not owe a registration fee. However, after the mandatory coaches meeting, a school dropping from the finalized league schedule still owes the registration fee. Unless otherwise stated, the registration fee for a tournament event is based on actual participation.
- FIYA strives to keep its costs as low as possible. Compared to the marketplace, FIYA’s registration fee is very reasonable. Nevertheless, FIYA works with schools to ensure that finances do not prevent their students from participating. In addition, schools that provide gyms and/or fields to host league games are given discounts on the registration fee.
10. WE HAVE A GYM OR FIELD. CAN WE HAVE HOME GAMES?
Yes, we can schedule games so that your school team has home games as long as the centralized model is adopted. That is, we need to schedule at least two games (back to back) at your school’s gym/field. Each FIYA game is no more than 1 hour in length. FIYA discounts a hosting school’s registration fee based on the number of hours the school hosts FIYA games.
11. ARE THERE PLAYOFFS? ARE THERE AWARDS GIVEN?
- FIYA offers city wide playoffs for all qualifying teams from Division 1 leagues. There are NO playoffs for Division 2 and Division 3 leagues.
- For Division 1 playoffs, we typically create two playoff brackets which is conceptually similar to that of high school play and ensures equity across both brackets:
- Division 1 (playoff-qualifying teams that typically finish 1st or 2nd in league; other factors include size of school and a team’s demonstrated abilities in league or previous seasons in FIYA) and
- Division 1A (playoff-qualifying teams that typically finish 3rd - 5th in league; can also be 1st or 2nd place teams of smaller school size or from smaller FIYA regional leagues).
- FIYA awards league championship plaques to all first place teams in all divisions. We also award sportsmanship awards based on league voting.
- For Division 1 / Division 1A playoff teams, we award a championship and runner up trophy along with individual medals for the final 2 teams in the playoff brackets.
- Awards are also given for various tournament event winners. See specific sports pages on our website for exact awards given in that program (Ex: cross country, track & field, ping pong, and dance).
12. DOES FIYA SUPPLY EQUIPMENT, UNIFORMS, OR COACHES?
With a few exceptions, FIYA generally does NOT supply any of these items. However, FIYA can and has provided referrals to obtain practice equipment and uniforms at a discounted rate as well as aid with schools looking for individuals to coach their teams.